African Football

BREAKING: Kwesi Nyantakyi resigns as Ghana FA boss, apologizes for “indiscretion”

on

 

Kwesi Nyantakyi has in a statement Friday evening announced his resignation as the Ghana Football Association (GFA) president following damning corruption allegations against him.

Kwesi was earlier in the day handed a 90-day “provisional” ban by FIFA, the world’s football body, following the claims contained in a documentary by Ghanaian investigative journalist Anas Anas.

The former FIFA Council and CAF, the confederation of African football, vice-president apologized for “indiscretion” but denied any wrong doing.

He has pledged to address the media in the coming days on the issues raised in the widely publicized piece.

On Friday the government, through the line ministry, begun steps to disband the GFA.

Meanwhile, the GFA has said they will announce further developments on the situation.

Below is Kwesi’s Full Statement:

“After a meeting of the Executive Committee this afternoon I decided to resign as President of the Ghana Football Association”.

“It stemmed out of the controversies generated by investigative report of Tiger Eye PI. In the said report I committed a series of errors of indiscretion. I gravely associated the highest office of the land –the presidency- with private discussions I had with “Scammers” who deceived me into thinking they were genuine persons interested in investing in our country.”

“I hereby apologise unreservedly to the father of the Nation, H.E. Nana Akufo Addo, H.E. the Vice President, Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia, Hon. Ministers and Deputy Ministers of State for indiscretion in associating them with the private conversations on the video.”

“I wish to clarify that at no time prior to or subsequent to any deliberations on the video did I consult, contact or inform any Government official about discussions on the video. I take sole and personal responsibility for the proceedings on the video.”

“I wish to apologise to my family, work colleagues, friends, associates and the people of Ghana for the disappointment my indiscretion has caused them.

“This is by no means an admission of wrong doing for issues on the video.”

 

About Bonface Osano

African Football Writer contributing @Soka25east | Commentator; appeared on @MySoccerAfrica, @KweseSports, @ntvkenya, others | Keen follower of African Football. E-mail: bonfaceosano@gmail.com

You must be logged in to post a comment Login