Ethiopia Walia Ibex staged a spirited fight in Luanda Angola where they lost to a slim 1-0 goal margin facing an experienced and star studded Angola Palanca Negras.
Frederico Castro Rogue dos Santos popularly know as Freddy scored the solitary goal in the 16th minute with a cool finish holding on to the end of the game.
Ethiopia were missing key players Salhadin Said and Getaneh Kebede both plying their trade in Egypt for Al Ahly and Bidvest Wits in the South African PSL.
Walia coach Mariano Barreto in his first game incharge since being appointed fielded the likes of Shemeles Bekele,Abebaw Butako and Adane Girma some of the veteran players in the team as they put up a solid perfomance denying Angola several times as both sides fought tooth and nail.
Angola’s goal came after a neat counter attack that left the Ethiopia defense dazzled as Freddy notched the all important goal .
The second half was a see saw affair as both team attacked in a balanced affair that was only separated by the early first half goal.The slim loss will be encouraging stepping stone for Barreto who is preparing the team ahead of tough Afcon 2015 qualifers in a group that comprises Mali,Malawi and Algeria who recently impressed at the World Cup in Brazil.
Ethiopia will travel via Addis Ababa for a further two week training camp in Brazil city of Sau Paulo in Brasilia where they will work on sharpening their claws ahead of the tough Afcon group.
– results in last 10 matches: won 5 matches, drawn 4 matches and lost 1 matches
– scored 14 goals and conceded 7 goals in last 10 matches
– more than 2.5 goals have been scored in 2 of last 10 matches
– results in last 10 matches: won 3 matches, drawn 1 matches and lost 6 matches
– scored 8 goals and conceded 12 goals in last 10 matches
– more than 2.5 goals have been scored in 3 of last 10 matches