CHIPOLOPOLO coach George Lwandamina has distanced himself from the COSAFA Cup team list released by the Football Associationof Zambia (FAZ).
This is according to an article in the times of Zambia newspaper by. Ndinawe Simpelwe and Adrian Mwanza.
Lwandamina said in an interview yesterday that the list of the team he named and forwarded to FAZ was not for the COSAFA tournament but for the routine one-week assessment camp meant to check the progress of players.
He also wondered why some players had been removed from the list he drafted.
Lwandamina said the technical bench had not yet come up with a list of the team for the COSAFA Cup and would only do so after checking a good number of players from the local ‘assessment’ camp.
“That list is not for the COSAFA Cup. I called the team which went to Rwanda (for the CHAN tournament) for assessment. It has been routine for a long time.
“Then if there will be any inclusions or
subtractions, that will come later. So players should continue working extra hard,” said Lwandamina.
He said the communication from FAZ on the one-week assessment camp was not correct because selection of players for the COSAFA Cup and also the Africa Cup qualifier against Guinea Bissau in June will only be done after assessing the local players.
Chipolopolo team manager Stanley
Kaseko on Tuesday released a 22-man team to start preparing for the June COSAFA Cup.
The list released by Kaseko saw veteran Isaac Chansa and Christopher Katongo as well Christopher Munthali and Mwape Mwelwa missing from the team despite being part of the CHAN tournament.
“And there are players who have been
removed from the list, I don’t know who removed them.
“The players should just continue working harder, the assessment process is a continuous one and we haven’t selected a team for any match yet,” Lwandamina said.