By Agnes Amondi,
Football Kenya Federation president Nick Mwendwa revealed that they are waiting for further directions from the football world governing body FIFA after the Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) nullified its election on Tuesday.
In a judgment delivered via a video link amid fears over the spread of the Corona Virus, SDT chairman John Ohaga canceled the national elections that were scheduled for March 27, just three days before the March 30 deadline set by FIFA.
Ohaga cited an unreasonable Electoral Code, which the tribunal termed a “violation of the principle of free and fair elections contemplated by Section 46 (6) as read with Paragraph (d) of the Second Schedule to the Sports Act and Article 81 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.”
Earlier last month, FKF had petitioned the Tribunal against the Sports Registrar for clarity on some sections of the Sports Act. The Tribunal then enjoined cross petitioners in the case.
“All our arguments at the tribunal (against the registrar), have been upheld by the tribunal. Almost all of our cross petitioners’ arguments against us have also been dismissed,” Mwendwa said.
“To our shock, the SDT Chair moved to nullify the entire election, after saying that the Electoral Board and Appeals Committee was proper and that we did proper public participation. We don’t agree with the decision but we will go by it and await FIFA’s directive,” he added.
The president further moved to calm fears that the Federation was disjointed.
“Our constitution, as well as the ruling delivered yesterday, states that I remain in office. The Secretariat is also in the office, and football is still in the right direction,” he said.
FIFA is in the next two days set to make a decision on the matter.