Connect with us

Mathare United held Kakamega Homeboyz to a 0-0 draw in an evenly contested SportPesa Premier League match at Bukhungu Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Both teams played well but the slum boys were the better side in the first half while the home team dominated the second.

Goals for the Homeboyz should have come in the first half but steady goalkeeping by Robert Mboya saved the day for Mathare.

Striker Clifton Alwanga should have given Mathare a magical lead in the 37th minute but his shot was deflected for a fruitless corner kick with Homeboyz custodian Michael Wanyika already beaten.

Alwanga almost shook the net in the 47th minute after cutting through the Homeboyz defence line but Smith Ouko was too fast for him before he could face Wanyika between the posts.

Six minutes later, striker Cliff Nyakeya was on the mark again at the left flank but his volley went over the bar.

Mathare Coach Francis Kimanzi made several changes benching Chris Ochieng and Edward Seda for Ronald Reegan and Klinsman Omulanga, but it failed to change the match tempo.

Missed target

On their part, Homeboyz missed out to claim the lead in the 78th minute when striker Allan Wanga blasted over the bar after being put through by Hoah Wafula with custodian Mboya well beaten.

Two minutes later striker James Situma also wasted a golden opportunity when he blasted wide.

Mathare were left a man down in the closing stages of the opening period, with Reegan sent off for bringing down Situma.

The stalemate sees Slums Boys remain at third place with 27 points, three behind leaders Gor Mahia while Homeboyz are ninth on the log with 21 points.

Zoo Kericho  1-1 Kariobangi Sharks

In Kericho, Zoo FC drew 1-1 with Kariobangi Sharks in another KPL match played at Kericho Green Stadium.

The visitors threatened first just three minutes into the game after they were awarded a free-kick in a promising area.

Francis Manoah stepped up and forced Zoo goalkeeper Vincent Misikhu into a good save from the set-piece.

Sharks keeper John Ayemba was called into action a minute later and he denied Sharks midfielder Bolton Omwenga.

It was end-to-end stuff and Zoo managed to break the deadlock through their hard-running marksman Nicholas Kipkurui

The Harambee Stars forward beat Ayemba with a good finish to make it 1-0 to Zoo in the 13th minute.

The visitor had a chance to level matters through Erik Kapaito in the 37th minute with William Muluya’ side having pressed Zoo.

However, the left-footed attacker placed his effort wide of the target with visitors failing to punish Zoo.

Zoo were able to hold on to their lead and they were leading 1-0 at the interval.

Sharks midfielders struggled to create chances of for their main striker Sven Yidah , who was tighly marked in the early stages of the second-half.

Henry Juma, who is an attacking midfielder by trade, replaced Sydney as the visitors looked to level matters.

The momentum was with Sharks minutes later and they deservedly equalising through  Shapan Oyugi.

Bolton Omwenga delivered a beautiful corner, headed by Vincent to the path of Shapan who directed the ball to the far left corner to make it 1-1 much to the delight of the home crowd.

The two teams then launched late attacks in search of more goals, but they could not score and the match ended in a 1-1 stalemate.

A lover of African football who boasts experience in journalism, having previously worked at Brand Agenda Publications, East Africa University News and University Post in Uganda before moving to On Twitter @fgchuma

More in SportPesa Premier League (Kenya)